Soapstone Sculpture Block for Carving
Steatite Soapstone has been used for carving for hundreds of years. It makes a great carving medium, it is a soft and yet very dense, easily carveable stone.
This variety of Steatite/Soapstone has less talc than other carving grade brazilian soapstones and is very similar to the Alberene soapstone mined in Virginia. It is very consistent which makes it the perfect stone for artwork that involves complicated shapes.
Our soapstone blocks are pre cut in a few sizes(approximately):
- 31″ x 21″ x 10″/ 695lbs = $550.00
- 37″ x 21″ x 10″/ 825lbs = $650.00
- 43″ x 21″ x 10″/ 960lbs = $750.00
- 28″ x 21″ x 10″/ 625lbs = $500.00
- 10″ x 10″ x 10″/ 105lbs = $100.00
- 5″ x 10″ x 10″/ 53lbs = $ 50.00
- 20″ x 10″ x 10″/ 210lbs = $170.00
- 20″ x 20″ x 10″/ 425lbs = $350.00
- 2″ x 9″ x 4 1/2″ / 8.5lbs = $ 15.00
Prices do not include shipping but we can offer very attractive shipping rates. We ship from Glen Rock, NJ. Free pick up is available at our location.
These blocks are mined in the Mariana soapstone region of Brazil. Barroca Soapstone, is a gray , lightly veined stone. Once oiled or waxed, it becomes a very dark black with white or cream veining.
This soapstone was used by Brazil’s most famous baroque sculptor “Alejadinho”.