For those that want to enjoy the darker color of a soapstone countertop, mineral oil can be used to bring out the rich beauty of the stone. Once your soapstone countertop is installed you can follow these simple instructions:
1. Vacuum the countertop to remove any dust or dirt.
2. Clean the countertop with a clean cloth and denatured alcohol.
3. Once the alcohol dries apply mineral oil to the countertop with a soft cloth. Avoid making puddles of oil.
4. Wipe off any access with paper towel.
5. Continue to apply the oil twice a week until the desired patina and color is acquired.
6. Follow-up with an application every one to three months to maintain the desired effect.
M. Teixeira Soapstone has available for online purchase a lighter grade of mineral oil perfect for maintaining a soapstone countertop. You’ll find this oil much easier to apply than the standard drugstore mineral oil. Visit our online store where you can purchase Soapstone mineral oil.