For those that want to enjoy the darker color of a soapstone countertop, mineral oil can be used to bring out the rich beauty of the stone. Once your soapstone countertop is installed, follow these simple care tips and maintenance instructions:
- Vacuum the countertop to remove any dust or dirt.
- Clean the countertop with a clean cloth and denatured alcohol.
- Once the alcohol dries apply mineral oil to the countertop with a soft cloth. Avoid making puddles of oil.
- Wipe off any access with paper towel.
- Continue to apply the oil twice a week until the desired patina and color is acquired.
- Follow-up with an application every one to three months to maintain the desired effect.
M. Teixeira Soapstone has available for online purchase a lighter grade of mineral oil perfect for maintaining a soapstone countertop. You’ll find this oil much easier to apply than the standard drugstore mineral oil. Visit our online store where you can purchase Soapstone mineral oil.