Natural stone is a strong, durable building material that has been used for centuries in statues, walls, floor tiles, and outdoor fixtures. More durable than artificial products that mimic their design, but can’t match the strength, soapstone, granite, and marble can stand up to wear and tear and still maintain their striking looks over time.
Natural stone is environmentally friendly. Extraction and manufacturing take minimal energy, and natural stone can be repurposed or recycled. Natural stone, and most notably soapstone, absorbs ambient temperature from its environment to keep a home warm in the winter or cool in the summer which can improve overall energy efficiency. And unlike some synthetic building materials, natural stone does not contain chemicals or toxic gasses that negatively affect air quality.
Soapstone is a favorite natural stone because it is easy to maintain. Wood, laminate, and other surfaces require daily waxing, polishing, or scrubbing to look good, but soapstone needs no special treatment. Simply wipe up spills and follow your regular maintenance schedule for the best results. Natural stone holds its beauty and brilliance over time with minimal care and some varieties develop a gorgeous patina as they age.
Where To Use Natural Stone
Natural stone can be installed indoors or outside. Soapstone, marble, and granite are strong and visually stunning, making them versatile enough to be fabricated into just about anything, from shower tiles for the master bath to outdoor furniture on the patio. Consider natural stone for the following areas.
- Flooring. Hard, stain-resistant, and weatherproof natural stone tile floors hold their own in high-traffic areas both indoors and out. Replace indoor carpeting with natural stone for a hygienic option that doesn’t attract and hold dust and other pollutants.
- Countertops and backsplashes. Waterproof, heat-resistant, and impervious to mold, natural stone is ideal in areas where water and heat exposure is frequent, such as bathroom and kitchen countertops.
- Fireplace surrounds and mantels. Use thermal- and fire-resistant natural stone around indoor and outdoor fireplaces. It can withstand the heat from the chimney and surrounding area without scorching or showing damage.
- Landscaping. Retaining walls, planters, fire pits, raised flower beds, and walkways constructed in natural stone are strong and stunning. As opposed to artificial materials, stone blends in with and enhances the serenity and beauty of nature.
- Decorative accessories. A sculpture in the backyard, an accent table in the living room, or a bedside lamp base made in natural stone adds depth and texture and complements home décor from traditional to contemporary.
M. Teixeira Soapstone carries a varied selection of soapstone, granite, and marble slabs. Our experts are ready to work with you or your designer to ensure you choose the best quality stone for your project. Request a quote for slabs or installation projects, view our available slabs, or contact the showroom nearest you for more information. We have locations in New Jersey, New York, Florida, and California, and we offer nationwide shipping to reach you wherever your renovation project may be taking place.