Brazilian Slate Countertops
Slate countertops have a lot of qualities including beauty, great durability and a non-porous surface that makes them easy to clean and requires less maintenance than granite, marble or concrete. This is a versatile countertop product that works well in a variety of applications such as kitchens, bathrooms, wet bars and can also be used for backsplashes and sinks.
Unlike granite, marble and concrete, slate is non-porous. This means that it cleans up very easily and does not have a tendency to harbor bacteria. It won’t absorb liquids, so you won’t get any staining from juice, tomato products, oil, cleaners, etc., since they can’t penetrate the surface.
If you are tired of the shiny/grainy/dated look of granite, and for any reason, you decide not to use soapstone, slate may be another great option for you.
Why would I pick slate over soapstone countertops, you may ask yourself. We can think of two reasons:
- Slate countertops are quite a bit more affordable than their pricier cousins.
- Slate slabs usually do not have any veining, and are more monochromatic, which is appealing to some people, who are looking for a more “plain” look.
- Slate has an extremely low water absorption index, less than 0.4%, which makes it resistant to frost damage and stains in general.
- Because it is a good electrical insulator and fireproof, it was used to construct early-20th century electric switchboards and relay controls for large electric motors. Fine slate can also be used as a stone to hone knives.
- Due to its thermal stability and chemical inertness, slate has been used for laboratory bench tops and for billiard table tops.
Brazilian slates are known for their superior quality and are used throughout the world for this reason. Brazilian slate is an excellent choice for kitchen and vanity tops. It’s extremely low absorption rate makes it stain-resistant and anti-bacterial. Scratches are easily rubbed out. We import the highest quality brazilian slates.